Wednesday 7 September 2011

BETA CASE FILE #1: Hidden Objects

Just like Harry, Ron, Hermione, and every other student in Hogwarts, one of our objectives on Pottermore is to earn points to help our House win the House Cup at the end of term. While no one knows for sure how points are fairly counted given the different number of students in each House, most of us try our best to help our Houses.


The first way everyone can earn points is by finding all of the hidden objects as we explore each chapter of the Philosopher's Stone. The hidden objects range from random objects like postcards, chipped cup, prefect badge, etc., to Chocolate Frogs, books and potion ingredients. 


The first issue would be on FINDING THE OBJECTS. Each collectable item "lights up" when the cursor passes by it. Most of the objects are easy to spot when you get to certain chapters. You'll have to remember to ZOOM IN when you get to each moment since some objects are found only after you do that. Don't think that all the objects are obvious, because some are small, like the Chocolate Frogs and some books, and some blend too well with the artwork, like the potion ingredients. I was lucky enough to have my Pottermore Family, who got in before me, help me out. I had trouble finding some of the Chocolate Frogs and books. I was able to find all of the objects with the help from this blog: Hidden Objects, Unlocking New Material. (I'll have a separate file for unlocking the new material) Overall, it took me two days to find all the objects in the Philosopher's Stone.


My FIRST SUGGESTION to Pottermore was to have a list of the objects that can be found in the chapter or at least in the book. While the amount of space we have in our trunk definitely provides a hint of how many objects we need to find, I wouldn't have known what to find if my friends had not told me what they found. This worked for now since a bunch of us got in earlier, but when the second book opens, most of us will be at equal footing. Of course there will be many of us who are patient in searching for the objects without any hint as to where they are, but it would be nice to know WHAT we are looking for. 


Now, I've mentioned that the hidden objects random objects, Chocolate Frogs, potion ingredients and books. While the potion ingredients are useful since can use them for, well, brewing potions, the other objects are not as useful. Which brings me to my next batch of suggestions.


For the CHOCOLATE FROGS, it would be nice to be able to read what was written on the card and the image of the person in the card as well. I'd like to know how J.K. Rowling imagined the other characters to be, especially the famous wizards and witches. And I'd also like to see the moving pictures, and how they would act to get an idea of their personality.


For the BOOKS, I would like to read even just some of their content. I'm not talking about the Potions and Spell books since we use them. I am most interested in the other books we find, like Hogwarts: A History, since Hermione did repeatedly mention it throughout the series. It would give us a better idea of the magical world that is in the genius mind of J.K. Rowling.


For the RANDOM OBJECTS, I made the suggestion to Pottermore that they allow us to either USE the objects to gain access to secret parts of the castle (like the PREFECT BADGE to peek in the PREFECT's BATH AREA even before the Goblet of Fire) or to have BONUS GAMES (like WIZARD CHESS). This way finding the objects would really be more interesting.


Well, I've mentioned these suggestions to Pottermore, and they have promised to take them into consideration. I really hope they add more fun activities for us to explore, especially since we are  still waiting for the Chamber of Secrets to open. 


What about you? Any suggestions for Pottermore? Feel free to tell me by placing a comment below. ^_^




--End of Beta Case File --

No comments:

Post a Comment