Thursday 8 September 2011

BETA CASE FILE #3: The Philosopher's Stone

*SPOILER ALERT! This post contains images and information about my experience in Pottermore. So, if you don't want to know anything because you want to experience it all yourself, then now is the time to STOP READING THIS.
Still reading? Then I guess you don't mind, and so, feel free to read and enjoy! ^_^


I'm sure that for most of us, when we got our owls, one of the few things we wanted to get done first were to get our WANDS and of course, GET SORTED. And I am one of the "most of us". As soon as I signed in on Pottermore, within two hours I was already with wand and already sorted into SLYTHERIN.

So with my trunk, my wand, and my Slytherin spirit, I prepared to continue on to my magical journey. Now I had to focus on the artwork and details of how Pottermore presented the first book.

The FIRST PROBLEM I encountered was the loading of the page. Pottermore created artwork for every moment of each chapter of the book, and it required Flash Player in order for it to be an interactive experience. If the page did not load properly, you would not be able to collect any of the objects. In my case, the Flash Player took several page refresh to finally load. I don't know if it's because I use a Macbook, but it would be nice if I could find a way to fix it. Weirdly enough, one way I got the page to finally load was by opening the Beta Feedback form, wait for it to load, and then close it. This, of course, is very tedious, especially if I end up doing it for almost all of the chapters. I did inform Pottermore about this problem and they did promise to look into the problem, and really hope they do find a solution.

The SECOND THING I also hope they improve would be the effects. Since I'm sure that MAJORITY of the Pottermore users will be Harry Potter fans who have read the book and/or watched the movies, and some of them (like me) would have read/watched them more than once (seven times for me), going through every chapter should be more interesting than just having artwork. Funny enough, when I first signed in on Pottermore, I plugged in my earphones because I had the expectation that their would be sound effects or at least SOME MUSIC. But to my disappointment, there was NOTHING. Not even the HOOT, a MEOW, or a KOKAK from the animals. While I love the artwork, it gets a bit boring after having found all the hidden objects. Even if they couldn't put music for every chapter, at least some music for the new material. I believe that this would help set the mood and the tone of the moments.

ALSO, I wish that there were some mini-games where we could interact with other players. If Pottermore is concerned about keeping the site child safe, they could limit access to these bonus features to those over 18 or 20.

And LASTLY, a very minor detail, I wish I could see the faces of some of the characters in the artwork. I'd like to see how J.K. Rowling imagined the characters to be like. 


What suggestions do you have? Feel free to tell me ^_~


-- End of Beta Case File --

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    Nice to hear from someone who's so fan of Harry Potter too. (I'm AvisAccio162 on Pottermore).
    I've got a Mac too, but I haven't experienced the same problems as you. What is your connection to the internet? What's your browser? I used Firefox, with the lastest version of the Flash Player plugin (Shockwave Flash 10.3 r183, as stated in my about:plugins).
    What I found irritating was the lack of clear way to come back to a particular chapter (except if you 'favorited' it first). But otherwise, it was truly fun to explore the website.
    I'm Hufflepuff, but I really thought I would be a Ravenclaw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AvisAccio162, thanks for your comment! It's nice to hear from another Potterhead. ^_^
    I guess it must be my internet connection. I use my Safari, but I could try out Firefox.
    I agree, it becomes tiring to try to go back to a specific moment.

    Well, hope you stay tuned to my blog. ^_~

    ReplyDelete