Tuesday 6 September 2011

Hunt for the Magical Quill

One Sunday night, July 31 to be exact, my younger sister reminded me at 7:00pm that Pottermore would be leaving clues each day on how to find the Magical Quill. Sadly, it had slipped both our minds to check for website, so when we did visit it, the registration for Day 1 had already closed. 


No hint was given on when the next clue was going to posted on the site, so I decided to wait for 12 midnight just to be sure, and when no clue was posted, I programmed my phone to also tell me what time it was in London, where I assumed the Pottermore headquarters were.


So I went to sleep, and when I woke up the next day, the first thing I did was check the website again. But alas, there was still no new clue. 


For the rest of the day, I kept my laptop on at my work table, and while I was in class (since I am a teacher), I kept my close secretly in my pocked, with my browser open in case I could sneak a peek at the site. I stayed distracted and restless the whole day, all the way until I reached home.


Then, at around 5:30pm, as I refreshed my phone's browser for the site, there it was. 


Day 2: What is the number of the chapter in which Professor McGonagall cancels the Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff? Multiply this number by 42.

So I hurriedly typed in my answer (588) and within the next 30 minutes I had already successfully registered as a Pottermore Beta user. 


Like any Potterhead, I was ecstatic and excited, even if I knew I had to wait a few more weeks for my welcome email (a.k.a. owl). To keep myself busy, I tried to speculate what Pottermore was, and even created a new Twitter account where I could communicate and meet other Pottermore Betas, know referred to as my Pottermore Family. I even found myself looking out for the next set of clues, and even helped one of my friends get her own account, all just for the fun of it (and to see whether I really knew the books well as a Potterhead).


And so, with the company of my Pottermore Family, we all began to wait for our owls. 


Little did we know how long that wait was going to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment